Sunday, November 23, 2008

Week-end Update

The week-end started for me at 0500 on Saturday morning. After a cutback week, I was looking forward to today's long 19 mile run. The plan was to meet at 0700 at the Y. I ate a bagel with some peanut butter prior to the run. It was a chilly 27 degrees when I got out of the car. I dressed light, tights, gloves, hat, long sleeve shirt, and wind jacket.

I felt pretty good the entire run. I started feeling the run in my legs around mile 13/14. I'm feeling pretty comfortable taking gels every 5 miles so I think I am going to do that for the race. Up until mile 15 then I am going to gel every 4 miles. We are incorporating a ton of hills in our long runs. I know hills make you stronger and that is what I keep telling myself. Next week is our first of 3 20 mile runs. I know we still have a lot ahead of us but I can see the light at the end of the tunnel... barely. We finished the run in 2:27 with an average pace of 9:20. Good job Scott and Chris.

Today (Sunday), I slept in until about 0800. These sunday semi-long runs are getting harder and harder. After a Clif bar and a gel, I headed out. It was a gorgeous morning. I headed for the trail trying to figure out where I would run in order to get my 9 miles in today. I was laboring quite a bit on this run. My legs felt like cement and I was breathing semi heavy. About mile 4/5, I got into a groove and started feeling much better. I finished todays run in 1:19 averaging 8:47. I was definately glad this run was over.

I finished week 10 with a total of 48 miles even though I didn't run 4 miles on Wednesday. In the next few weeks, it will be even more crucial that I listen to my body for any signs of over training.

No comments: