Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Straight outta the wind/cold and into...

I wish I could say something like a hot tub or an 88 degree swimming pool. But instead it was a run in the wind, cold, AND rain. I guess this is just a sampling of the things to come over the next several weeks. I can put up with about anything except RAIN!!!! #1 thing on my Christmas list... Rain suit.

I met Scott at 0545 at the Y today. As the alarm went off at 0430 and I awoke to the sound of rain, I'd be lying if I said I was looking forward to today's run. In the back of my mind, I was hoping to hear the phone ring and Scott to tell me that he decided to stay in but that was not to be the case. I showed about five minutes early and much to my dismay, there was Scott with an enthusiastic wave. I added a 3rd upper layer grabbed my water and headed to the start area. Our Tuesday runs this week and next increase to 9 miles (from 8).

We set out with the wind at our back. After about a half mile, I was burning up. I was ready to start shedding layers but did not... and thank God I didn't. We ran from the Y through Washington Park to Fit Club west to Washington Street and back. We were against the wind on the way back and was very thankful I put on the extra layer. I actually had to put my gloves back on.

Our run was fast today. I think Scott was paying me back for something I did. Every time I looked down at my watch, it would read somewhere between 8:00-8:15 pace. We ended with an average of 8:33 because we stop and walk a few times while drinking. I was very pleased with today's run considering all the miles we have put in so far.

And last but not least, I'd like to say a speacial THANKS and GOD BLESS to all the veterans out there. Today is your day. Thank you for you have done past and present!!!!

No comments: