Monday, October 20, 2008

What a week-end!

The week-end started at 0500 on Saturday morning. I was to meet Scott, Chris, and Mike at the Y for our 16 miler. I was feeling a little nervous because this was going to be my longest run... EVER. I fueled up with some coffee and toast with Jelly, stretched a bit and was off to the Y. All week I tried to make sure I fueled correctly so I wouldn't crash.

Our plan to run the "Big Loop" (13 miles) and incorporate the "Art Run" (3 miles). It was a bit chilly when we started but I warmed up after the first couple miles. The run went real well for me. I felt pretty strong most of the run... Hungry but strong. I took 2 gels, 1 at around mile 7 or 8 and 1 at mile 12. Those helped with the hunger for a bit. I was feeling a little "weird" around mile 16 but we only had .5 miles to go. We finished in a time of roughly 2:30 averaging 9:08 pace. I was stoked at the conclusion of the run and am looking forward to that feeling after our 18 miler in 3 weeks.

On Sunday, I slept in a bit until 0830. I made some coffee, had some toast, and read the paper till 1000. I set out for a 7 miler. It was not scheduled to be a pace run. I ran the first 3.5 miles at around 9:30 pace but finished averaging 8:43 and feeling strong.

For the week-end, I totaled 23.5 miles and ended up with 39.5 miles for the week. This week is a cut-back week and I will be cutting back a lot. I have the Allerton Trail 5.5 mile race scheduled for Sunday so I am going to rest Friday and Saturday which means no real long run this week-end.

No comments: