Tuesday, October 28, 2008

I'm not ready for this

As I was getting ready for my run last night, I laid out my tights, gloves, short sleeve shirt, and a long sleeve shirt. I am definately ready for the cold weather. It seems like we went straight from Summer to Winter.

I met Scott at 0555 at the Y for our 8 mile long run. When I got out of my car the temp read 29 degrees. We set out on the usual 8 mile course. I was holding back just a bit because I wasn't sure how my ankle was going to hold up. After the initial shock of the pounding on the road, it started feeling really good. We were running at a pretty good pace. After we stopped for some water at the fountains, we headed down Wiggins for 3 miles of hills. It was tough getting started as my ankle/foot tightened up fast but quickly loosened again.

After a quick stop for water, we headed for the finish. As the sun was rising, both Scott and I could feel the temp dropping and the frost was starting to appear. As we were running down Scarrett, I asked if we had slowed the pace. Scott laughed and said that we had picked up the pace since we crossed MacArthur. That's my mistake. For some reason I get this burst of energy toward the end of the run. Where was that at the Allerton Trail Race???

We finished with 8 miles under our belts on a chilly morning. Our time was around 1:09. I bet if I look at the laps, we were pretty close to on pace or slightly negative splits.

Great run Scott!!! I think we are well on our way. The next 5 weeks are going to be crucial ( 17, 18, 12, 19, 20 milers) for me so I am going to be relying on your expertise. I'll have my gels ready and plenty of fluids.

No comments: