Friday, October 24, 2008

Tempo Training

Up until about 6 month ago, I didn't include any temp training into my weekly mileage. I thought that if I just did 400's or 800's that it would be good enough. Boy was I wrong. When I started adding tempo training, my times really went down. It is definately a harder workout but if you want to run fast, you have to train fast. From what I have gathered, my tempo run should be a little slower than my 10K pace for marathon training. My last 10K was run at 7:00 pace so my tempo runs are going to be a 7:13 pace.

Tempo runs can be accomplished n a number of different way. I have chosen to do a steady state tempo run where I keep the same pace for a longer period of time.

Last night I was to run 4.5 miles at tempo pace. I listened to an episode of "This American Life" podcast while running. This seemed to make the time go by faster on the treadmill. I started with a nice slow .5 mile warm up and finished with the same cool down. I totaled 5.5 miles. I don't recall the time but I felt really good after the run.

No comments: