Tuesday, May 5, 2009

A lot has been going on

I've been pretty busy with trying to build somewhat of a base before I embark on my first triathlon training program. I really feel like my running is going to suffer but to try something new will be kind of cool.

Thursday evening I hopped on the treadmill for some speed work. I did 6 x 400 at 6:10 pace with a 200 recovery between repeats. I preceded with 1 mile warm-up and concluded with 1 mile cool down. I love my speed work!!!!

Friday was a day off and will continue to be my day off. Fridays are left as a date/dinner night.

Saturday marning/afternoon was spent helping Kristi and Cameron. Kristi had a show that I needed to help her get set up for. She makes and sells jewelry and is really AWESOME. I might be a little biased but she really is good. I then assisted Cameon in making a science fair project, Pencil Rocket. That was good time we spent together and it actually worked the first time we tried it. Around 4:00, I finally made it out for my long run. The longest I had run prior to this was 6 miles the week before. It felt good to go long but I also felt a twinge in my knee. I'd been doing a lot of treadmill running so I hope it is just a lack of road running that is causing this. I guess I'll find out soon enough. I averaged about 8:37 for the run with the last 2 miles being run at a faster pace.

Sunday morning was spent volunteering at the Try the Tri. It's a great event for kids and adults wanting to try their hand at triathlons. We (me and Cameron) were on the bike course. It was a very fun experience. After the race and cutting the grass, I headed out for a bike ride. The plan was to do 30 miles. I missed a turn along the way but it was ok. It ended up being an out and back on a beautiful day. I eventually logged 30.5 miles in 1:45.

Monday was spent lifting weights. I decided after the weight, that I would hop on the recumbent bike for some strength work. I did 30 minutes of interval training with 4 minutes hard/ 3 minutes easy. My quads were burning when I was done.

Training for next week may be slim as we are headed to California for a few days. First San Diego and then La Quinta which is near Palm Springs. I plan on running and swimming but not much bike unless I make it to gym.

No comments: