Friday, May 22, 2009

Dog Days of Summer

Tonight was ride night. I'm thinking of running a 5K this week-end and I wanted to try to take it easy. Anyone who knows me, knows that I don't take it easy. Tonight was no different. The plan was to ride 20 miles or a little over 1 hour. I had intentions of riding the course that the Wheelfast ride takes but somewhere I missed a turn. I thought I had it under control but...

I kept riding, hoping that I would eventually see a street I recognized and then... GREAT BIG dog comes flying out at me... right in front of the bike. When I say big, I mean 130 lb. rotweiller that looked like he might even be able to eat my bike. I locked up my brakes and almost lost it. I kicked the speed up a few notches and grabbed my water bottle (just in case). The dog eventually retreated and thank god, because I didn't have anything left and he was keeping up with me. Whew! Disaster averted.

I did finally pass a street I recognized but knew that if I kept heading west, I would hit Route 4. After a few winding miles, I recognized a road that would indeed take me to Route 4. At this point, I only had a few miles to go so I got in the aerobars and quickened the pace. I looked down and was riding at 24 mph. That's fast for me. I hit the trail in Chatham and rode a cooldown home with a total of 25 miles and TIRED legs. Thanks Dog!!!

No comments: