Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Another Brick in the Wall

Multi-sport training has been going pretty well. It's tough trying to learn to balance all 3 disciplines. I figured that with this training, my running was bound to suffer a bit. I wanted to see where I was at with my running so I signed up for a 5k on Saturday. It was more of a fundraiser event so it didn't attract the bigger names in town. I wasn't quite sure what to expect but the morning was hot and humid.

I ended up finishing with a time of 20:51 which was 1 minute less than my PR. Disappointed? Kind of, but it is the first race in warm weather this year and the guys who finished 1 & 2 were also 1 minute off their PR so...

I now have a starting point for the year and hopefully my times will keep going down.

On Monday, I did my 2nd ever brick work-out. For those who don't know what a brivk is, it is when you go from say the bike to the run without any rest. After riding 21 miles, I slipped on my running shoes and ran 3 miles. My legs felt pretty good. I actually increased my pace by 30 seconds each mile. I'm on my way to my first triathlon.

This week-end, I get a taste of the multi-sport thing with a biathlon that starts with a 3.1 mile run and finishes with a 15 mile bike. I'm really looking forward to it.

Tonight is the last night of swim class so I'm on my own from here. I think I'll be able to manage.

No comments: