Thursday, May 21, 2009

Speed 101

The saying goes... "If you want to run fast, you have to train fast". That's a hard concept to grasp when you show up for your first outside speed workout session after having done most of the miles over the winter at a slower pace while training for a marathon.

I went into this workout, 2 x 1 mile & 2 x 400, thinking I could run the miles in 6:00. At least that is what McMillen was telling me. I ended up running both miles at 6:30 and finished with burning lungs. It is early in the season so I have something to look forward to I guess. The 400's were run for the most part uphill. 1 word... TOUGH!!!

I finished with a mile cooldown contemplating whether or not I could/would attempt to try a half ironman triathlon in October. I'm going to get 2 shorter triathlons in before I make my decision.

No comments: