Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Walking That Fine Line

Man!!! It's been so long since my last post, I almost forgot my sign in information. Just because I've been absent from posting doesn't mean I haven't been training. I was keeping pretty busy. Notice the word was???

I've been training for a Half Marathon in my home town on April 4th and I set a pretty lofty goal for myself. I picked out a pretty aggressive training plan & threw some stairs in the mix. I was running hard 3 days a week with 1 day recovery and a long run. I knew there was a fine line betweening training right AND smart and over-training. How would I know I had pushed my limits was a question I asked myself a lot over the past several weeks.

I knew I was getting tired from all the high intensity workouts and last week it finally hit me. I crossed that line into over-training. I hadn't been sick in I don't know how long but it hit me hard. I was WAY down and out for three to four days. As I write this, it is still sitting down deep in my chest.

As runners, we seem to always try to push our envelopes (at leats I do) without enough rest and our bodies give up on us... for only a short time. I'd been training the past year and a half pretty much non-stop and it finally caught up to me. On the bright side, my legs feel refreshed and rested up. I have 3.5 weeks before the race and my goal now is to just PR.

No comments: