Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Capital City Biathlon

On Saturday, I participated in my first ever multi-sport event. I had no idea what to expect and I was extremely nervous. I glanced over last year's results to try to come up with some kind of goal. I set my sights on a time of 1:10.

I had no idea where I should line up for the run so I stuck with Dan B. because he is faster than I and that might motivate me a bit. The 1st group went off and we had 3 minutes before our group went. As the time counted down, I doubted myself more and more. Had I ridded enough? Had I ran my sppedwork on Wed. too hard? Should I have taken 2 days off instead of 1??? Before I knew it, we were off and all those thoughts were out the door. I stuck to Dan or at least kept him in my sights. He was strong from the get go! Because this was a multi-sport event, I held back a touch on the run to save some for the bike because I knew my bike was WEAK and the results will show that. I picked up the pace on the last mile and finished the run in 20:12.45.

Now for the transition. I had laid everything out like I have been taught so it went pretty smooth. Helmet on... Shoes off... Shoes on... grab bike and go. Transition time- 47.70 seconds. My goal was 1 minutes.

After hopping on the bike, I tried to gently get into the ride but I took off like a rabbit. I paid for it for the first few miles but eventually got into a nice rythmn. I realized about mile 5 that I still had my race number on. DARN!!! I forgot to take off my race belt in the transition. Oh well. I flipped it around and motored forward. I was passed by a dozen or so by the turn around and only by a couple after the turn around. I rounded the last turn and pedalled with everything I had. I crossed the finish line around 1:08:46.55. 2 minutes better than I wanted but wait... we started 3 minutes later so my time was 1:05:46.55. YES!!!

I was extremely happy with this race and it gives me a clue of what I need to work on. Here is a break down of my run, transition, and bike by overall and age.

OVERALL
Run- 20:12.45 15th
Transition- 47.70 50th
Bike- 44:46.40 41st

AGE
Run 3rd
Transition 3rd
Bike 7th

I guess I need to spend more time on the bike but not bad for someone whose been riding for only a few months. I definately need to get out to the New City Time Trials to work on my speed.

I'm hooked! These multi sport events are really awesome. I can't wait to add the swim portion.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great job Lance!!!

Aunt Ashy said...

You did amazing in this race! What a way to start out your multisport career! It will be fun to race with you at the IronAbe Tri this July, but good luck in Decatur! By the way, I may moderate my marathon training plan a bit based on your advice. I may squeeze in an 18 and a 20 miler in there. I'm thinking that's about as far as I really NEED to go. We'll see. Thanks for the tip!