Thursday, August 6, 2009

Marathoning in Memphis

I guess it only makes since if I started the year out with a marathon, that I end the year with a marathon. This week starts the training for the St. Jude Marathon taking plave in Memphis, TN on December 5, 2009. That will leave me the rest of the year to take it easy and recover befor I start my bike training at the beginning of the year.

Since we had good luck with our marathon training at the beginning of the year, we have decided to stick with what worked. Like the saying goes "If it ain't broke, don't fix it". Week one is the hardest. I'm trying to get back in the routine of running 4 or 5 days religiously. I've been injured somewhat most of the summer with a nagging pain in my ITB. Since I have only been running the past week, the pain is starting to subside. Maybe too much biking???

I'm flying solo this week because Scott is out on vacation. Next week we should start seeing each other a couple days a week. My plan is to run 4-5 days a week. Monday will be rest/weights. Weights early in the program and rest later in the program. Tuesday's will be weekly long run. Wednesday will either be recovery run or cross-train (Perfect time for swimming). Thursday will be hills/interval training. Memphis is supposed to be somewhat of a hilly marathon so we better include some hills. Instead of 800's this training cycle, I may try mile repeats with 800 recovery. Friday is an off day... ALWAYS!. Saturday is long and Sunday will be the same distance as my mid-week long run.

The only thing that will definately change will be the pace of the runs. I'm going to train for a 3:35-3:40 2nd marathon but will be happy with a 3:45. That's a 10 minute improvement I can live with.

Please feel free to join us on any of our runs. If you're interested in joining us in Memphis, you can train with us too.

No comments: