Monday, November 9, 2009

Catching Up

I'm back to full blown training mode and it feel GREAT! I'm doing a little something everyday except for Fridays that are my scheduled rest days. I have a mix of tempo work, speed workout, and long runs mixed in with cross training on the bike.

This is how last week looked starting with...

Last Saturday & Sunday- Beautful day outside. I rode 20 miles after running 5 on Saturday. Took both days pretty easy. Trail was packed with runners and bikers.

Monday- Easy spinning for 30 minutes on the recumbent bike followed by some weights. It was nice to work the legs out a bit after the week-end. I also put my name in the lottery for the NYC Marathon.

Tuesday- 2 mile tempo run (7:30 pace) with warm-up and cool down. 3 miles total. I need to get my stamina/endurance back after the long layoff and these tempo runs will sure help. I was suffering at the end so I must be doing it right. 1 more week at 2 miles and then I increase to 2.5 miles.

Wednesday- Recumbent bike again. 40 minutes I think. The nice thing about the bike is that it has different preprogrammed work-outs. I did the "Cross Train" at level 2. I think the resistance level tops out at 6. It's a pretty tough workout.

Thursday- Speed workout of 5 X 400 running each 400 @ 1:40 with a 1:20 recovery jog. I planned to only do 4 but I felt good so I decided to do an extra. I totaled 30:00 for this workout if you count the warm up and cool down. I can feel my endurance and speed coming back slowly.

Friday- Off

Saturday- Long run day. After talking to the "Goofy" group, I decided to join them and the Frost Toes for a 7 mile run. This was going to be my longest run in quite some time. I forgot how enjoyable running can be when you skow down and enjoy it. I had a ball on todays run. Nothing crazy until we hit the Carillon hill. I felt myself wanting to go faster and faster. Nick was hanging with me and we slowed it down a bit. With about a mile to go, I couldn't hold back anymore. I was so used to pushing the last mile that I took off (You miss that Scott?). I finished the last mile @ 7:14 pace for a total of 7.25 miles. I screwed everyone up because I didn't remeber the running route so some ended up doing more that the 7. Sorry guys!

Sunday- Headed out on the bike for a long ride. I wasn't sure how far I was going to go. I had originally said 25 but that turned into 32. It was beautiful day with a strong breeze. I saw tons of people using the trail which is always good.

Hopefully I can stay healthy and keep weeks like this going. I'll have to keep my fingers crossed.

No comments: